Monday, June 6, 2011

Felting Part II

This past weekend, I was very fortunate to be able to take a slipper felting class from Tash Wesp at the Sitka Center for Art and Ecology just north of Lincoln City.  It is the first time I have taken a class there (frankly, I have just started taking classes again after a long hiatus) and I have nothing but good things to say both about the center as well as the class itself.

Tash (pronounced like "cash" but with a "t") makes all sorts of wonderful things with felt, including hats, shawls and vests.  Our class introduced us to making slippers out of felt.  We learned how to create a pattern that would fit our feet and how to enlarge it, to accommodate the shrinkage of the fibers as they were felted together.  Here are my golden slippers - the flower petals on the top are cut from some prefelt I made, and the centers of the flowers were loosely needle felted prior to being incorporated into the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment