Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Special Weekend wih my Pop

This past weekend, I made a quick trip to New Jersey to visit my father and attend the opening of a very special exhibition at the Princeton University Art Museum - City of Gold.



Dad is an archaeologist and has been running the Princeton University Excavation in the Republic of Cyprus in Polis Chrysochous.  City of Gold is a collection of artifacts from a number of museums around the world that were found in Polis over the last 100 years.  Dad was digging up the ancient city of Arsinoe, which dates to between 500 and 400 BC.  In addition to getting the exhibition ready, Dad also worked tirelessly on pulling together Mom's book, a photo and essay collection of this area of Cyprus.  Mom was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer at the age of 64 in 2007; she died after a recurrence in December of 2008, not having had the chance to finish her project.  Dad completed it for her, using only her photos and text and got a publishing house in Cyprus to generate a first printing in conjunction with the opening of the exhibition.  Needless to say, it is selling like hotcakes.  Honoring Dad's lifetime of archaeological work this past weekend was wonderful, but the great gift that he has given all of us is his dedication and love for Mom which is reflected in his efforts to finish her last project.  I can not think of a more special gift for both my brother and me as well as our children.

On the flight back to Oregon (Dad came back with me and is enjoying some R & R on the farm) I worked on my latest pair of socks:


No comments:

Post a Comment