Monday, September 10, 2012

Dinner a la Romanesco

Every once in a while, I get a bee in my bonnet and I'll get busy in the kitchen.  This time of year, the Romanesco broccoli makes its appearance.  It's quite dramatic, with bright green spires and twists here and there.  It is considered an heirloom vegetable and is classified as a form of cauliflower.  Here is the gigantic head we picked up at the grocery store today:
I use it in a recipe for broccoli and potato soup.  First I brown some yellow onions and then add the Romanesco florets.  After about 5 minutes, the peeled and chopped potatoes are added, as is some beef broth.  One cooks the soup just long enough that the potato becomes soft and starts to fall apart.  Serve with freshly grated pecorino, plenty of pepper and some shredded basil leaves - yummo!




No comments:

Post a Comment